Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ichthux saga continues




After bowling last night I settled down into my cozy recliner, my laptop and the airdesk that it sits on. I logged on to console and managed to use the sudo adduser command and added the user jcmoffitt thinking that maybe the james account was just hosed up. Of course I can not do anything that requires su or root privileges so I guess the jcmoffitt account was just a plain user account. I figured at that point if I could get past the gui and at least logon then that would be ok until I can reset the root password. I was foiled again and I still can not logon. I got the Ichthux cd that is version 6.09 and tried to install that on the same partition. The install process got almost to the end then the installer crashed. GRRRRRRRRR I am starting to think that running Linux on my Toshiba laptop is not going to happen. I am starting to wonder if the hassle of it all is even worth it. LOL... I am not giving up yet.... My programmer friend at work is wondering if this might be a font issue vs a logon issue. I dunno to be honest with you... Perhaps I should try to load a different version of Linux on the laptop. Any suggestions from someone that has a Toshiba Laptop and a successful install? I have installed 6.09 Ichthux on two of my desktop computers on my network at home with absolutely no problems. Laptops may be a tad bit more finicky with regards to drivers etc.

No comments: