Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Too focused

How many times have we heard of end users stories? Silly stories about the folks that we support making silly mistakes. Well, this time the joke is on me. I decided to go for a walk around 2:15 pm and clear my head and get some exercise. I had not had lunch break yet so this was my opportunity to get out of my office for a spell. I walked down to a different building to clock out for lunch because I forgot to use the web based client on my pc before I left. I get to the building that I am going to and noticed the time clock pc was off due to power blinking on and off earlier. I am booting the pc back on when I hear the noise of a ups going off. I decided to kill two birds with one stone so I walk to the cubicle where the noise was coming from and I stop the noise which in turn killed the power to the phone and pc. DOH

It never occurred to me that I had just turned off the power to the UPS and that this person would come back to her desk and have no phone or LAN connection. I go on my walk and I had not been sitting down for more than 45 seconds when this ladies supervisor calls me and asks me if I had been around this ladies cubicle. We all hada good chuckle when I discovered what I had done. I ran down there with a batrery relpalcement for the UPS and popped it in and got the user back online within 5 minutes.

No comments: